Sunday, August 14, 2011

Eye for an eye

How do you evaluate a religious law? I propose a good question is:

- What would I do if the law had not been given?

Consider, for example, an eye for an eye. If the law were not given, and I were injured would I just forgive and demand nothing in return in either punishment or compensation? Not likely. Would my demand be proportional to the harm done. Not likely either.

I do not need a law to make me demand at a least proportional response. I need one to limit me to a proportional response. I suspect that humans like to pretend that they (as a group) would be peaceful and just if only religion (or G-d) had not told them to be vengeful. I was *going* to be peaceful and just, G-d, but you made me be violent and vengeful. Sounds like Adam...

No comments:

Post a Comment